So, our pediatrician has posted a warning on the main page of their website regarding certain plastics and their potentially dangerous nature (for all of us, not just children). It seems that certain plastics can release cancer causing chemicals, especially when microwaved. So, they are recommending that everyone avoid type 3, 6, and 7 plastics. To find out what kind of plastic something is, look on the bottom (usually) and find the recycling code. It is the number in the middle of the 3 arrows around in a circle (the standard recycle symbol). If that number is 3, 6, or 7, no one in should be using it for food or drinks, especially your children. That goes double for heating anything in 3, 6, or 7 plastic. You shouldn’t be using them either, but you aren’t a defenseless baby, so make your own decision.
Actually, you should probably get used to never microwaving food in plastic at all. Apparently, microwaves release potentially toxic and cancer causing chemicals from ALL plastic, but just in amounts that are deemed “too small” to worry about. That doesn’t make me feel all warm and fuzzy, I don’t know about you. It isn’t that much trouble to transfer stuff to a glass or ceramic bowl or plate before throwing it in the microwave.